Ranveer Singh apologizes for his new advertisement for a clothing line, “Jack and Jones” post social media outrage. The print advertisement of the brand shows the actor in office wear, with a woman over his shoulder and a butler is seen on the side grinning at them from behind. This ad has been criticized for being sexist and for undermining the status of women in the workplace.
The tag line of the ad says, ‘Don’t Hold Back. Take Your Work Home.’ The ad, now pulled by the clothing brand, has been widely slammed on Twitter and earlier this week, Rang De Basanti actor Siddharth posted a strongly-worded tweet dismissing Ranveer’s ad as ‘a new low’ for women’s rights in the workplace.
“It wasn’t malicious,” Ranveer said in a session with Shekhar Gupta. Ranveer Singh, 31, and Siddharth are both trending on social media now.
‘What were they thinking?’ asked Siddharth in his tweet:
— Siddharth (@Actor_Siddharth) November 20, 2016
Following the outrage in social media over the advertisement, Ranveer Singh issued an apology.
“It was important to give the brand creative freedom while designing their campaign, but I guess we got it wrong on one of those billboards and I’m sorry this happened but it’s a thing of the past… we rectified it immediately by having that hoarding taken down asap from everywhere over 30 cities overnight. I treat all women with the utmost respect both professionally and personally and would never do anything to disrespect them.”, the actor said.
Ad guru Piyush Pandey also slammed the advertisement telling CNN News 18,
“Agencies can do better. You have a very good actor in Ranveer, you don’t have resort to what is not considered correct, this ad will offend a lot of people, not just women. In this day and age, when everyone is talking about harassment at work, you have to be sensitive to issues around the world.”